By Elizabeth Martin, MD
Chair of the AAD Council on Communications
In November, to commemorate National Healthy Skin Month, the Academy launched a new campaign to educate the public about the importance of skin health and underscore the importance of the specialty.
The campaign includes a visually stunning web page, titled Why See a Board-Certified Dermatologist?, that includes a wealth of engaging graphics that explain why it’s important to see a board-certified dermatologist. The page includes information on:
- The diseases dermatologists treat.
- The differences between dermatologists and nurse practitioners and physician assistants.
- First-hand stories of patients who have received dermatologic care.
- The amount of training required to become a dermatologist.
- How a patient can tell if their dermatologist is board-certified.
Since launch, the page has been viewed by tens of thousands of people. The campaign also has been very successful on social media. We’ve posted infographics from the campaign through various channels and they have been shared hundreds of times.
In addition, the Academy issued a news release highlighting dermatologists’ expertise and encouraging the public to see a board-certified dermatologist if they have skin concerns.