The summer sun can be harsh on the skin, so it is vital that you take some extra steps to protect your skin from the sun and keep it looking healthy. At Harris Dermatology, our professionals are here to help patients in the communities of Naples and Fort Myers, FL, learn about caring for the skin to reduce the risk of sunburns, photodamage, and skin cancer.
Below are a few tips for summer skincare from our dermatologists at Harris Dermatology:
- Wear sunscreen every day, even if you are not going to be spending time outside. Apply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 to all exposed skin, including the face, neck, chest, and hands. Reapply sunscreen as directed on the bottle, or every two hours or less if you are swimming or sweating.
- Avoid sun exposure during the peak hours of UV radiation, which is typically between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm. If you must be outdoors during these times, seek out shade whenever possible.
- Wear protective clothing when outdoors, including a wide-brimmed hat, a long-sleeved shirt, and pants. Sunglasses can also help protect the eyes from UV radiation.
- Stay hydrated. Not only is this a great way to avoid dehydration and heat stroke, drinking enough water can also keep skin moisturized. Drink plenty of water each day and consider higher consumption if spending time outdoors and in the heat.
- Visit the team at Harris Dermatology annually for a skin cancer screening. Skin cancer can be treated in the earliest stages before it becomes damaging or spreads. Early detection is key, and our skin cancer screenings should be performed routinely, allowing our team to evaluate the skin from head to toe for changes or new growths. This includes mole mapping to monitor moles for any indication that skin cancer has developed.
By following these tips, you can help keep your skin healthy and protected from the harmful effects of the summer sun. If you have any concerns about your skin or are interested in learning more about our dermatology services, please contact Harris Dermatology today by calling one of our two office locations. We would be happy to answer any of your questions and help you achieve optimal skin health.